Monday, 6 February 2012


Well, where to start! I didn’t stop for a sit down in hong kong, let alone a posting, sorry, but it was the only way to fit in as much as possible.

I have walked miles, through street markets, night markets, temples, upmarket shopping malls, colonial buildings, glass high rises, you name it, I’ve walked it, even up to the peak (far too long a queue for the tram).

I’ve got so familiar with the star ferry I feel like a local, although I did try the underground, for a change (boring)…

This is such a weird mix of cultures, the Chinese ethnic food stalls mingle with marks and spencers, maconalds are everywhere, but so are the street food vendors-alas, mainly meat, I have become very attached to the raspberry sundae from the us fast food chain, and lost count of the ice creams-at only 10p, a bargain.

Everything is cheap, or free, even the botanical gardens, zoo, and parks, with some fantastic animals. Flowers are everywhere, with the Chinese new year decorations still up so the city glitters and glows, neon lights every second.

The oddest sights have been the fish  swimming around, waiting to be killed, and locals doing tai-chi in the parks-of which there are millions.

And despite an obsession with hygiene, the locals spit-very disconcerting, this just sums up the mixture between old and new cultures in all aspects.

The skylines are breathtaking, the masses of humanity also breathtaking, I wouldn’t want to be here in the heat of the summer (been about 18 here, about right).

I doubt photos will sum up the fantastical, vegas like nature of the city, nor the kindness and helpfulness of the people, I’ve loved it here!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Sounds like you're having a whale of a time. You'll be glad to know that it has been snowing here, which has made everything cold and wet. Although there were a couple of snowmen made (and subsequently destroyed)...
    Looking forward to the next update.
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I am so glad that Hong Kong was a positive experience for you as I know this was a bit of your trip you felt anxious about. From your review it sounds like somewhere I would like to visit and see for myself!

    I hope the rest of you trip is as sucessful as your time in Hong Kong and cant wait to see all your photos.
    love
    Emma

    ReplyDelete