Sunday, 19 February 2012

Hobart - It doesn't get tougher than this!

Today being Saturday, I went to the world famous Salamanca Market in Hobart. The first hour or two passed pleasantly eating all the free tasters-the fudge is gorgeous, as are the blueberries/boysenberries, in any shape or form, fruit to jam to cake…its like a gigantic farmers/crafts market here.
I then found that to one side where 4 coloured tents containing 4 coloured teams, and a film crew. Masterchef Oz are filming the Tassie special (to go out later during the current series, apparently). I hung around watching, only to be grabbed by a member of the film crew who’d heard me talking ‘English’.
He spent ages talking to me asking how popular the show was in the UK, and then I met the judges (albeit quickly), the one with his arm around me was lovely, very kind and seemed genuinely friendly.
Watching the film crew follow the competitors around the market was hilarious, as was watching the way the final sequence was filmed around each team, with the famous clock simply being reset each time.
And having cheered on each team, and waved the judges off to their private lunch somewhere, and despite not actually buying anything from any four stands, I was then  handed bags of free food…and by chance I have a cooker/microwave here.
I doubt my moment of fame will actually end up being broadcast, but it was an experience being part of the show.
Hobart itself is more English than England. Everywhere I look is English roses, country cottages and bakeries.
It’s all somewhat disconcerting, like walking around in a living museum (if it wasn’t for the modern dress/traffic). The architecture is amazing, and the waterfront gorgeous, with the views of the islands, and Mt Wellington towering above.
I have a selection of art galleries and museums, walking tours and gardens to trawl around-may have to buy more plasters for my poor feet. Still at least this ‘room’ has a bath.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thats a lovely little extra for your adventure around Oz, it is the unexpected events that make trips memorable isnt it.
    Glad your having a lovely time.
    Emma
    xx

    ReplyDelete